Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Great Welcome

I admit that Qatar is a beautiful country.
However, every country has its problems.
Although Qatar provides many benefits and is generally a good country, it is also full of problems.
One of these problems, which I witness quite frequently, is racism - especially towards expatriates.
For example, I arrived at the airport on Sunday after a long flight back home. The second I walked through the doors of the airport, I heard loud honking. I looked in front of me and found a man crossing the road with his luggage, and a Qatari man with his car right by the man's waist!
He almost ran the man over, and continued to honk his horn and yell as the man (who was speaking what seemed to be a European language) looked around in shock.
I'm sure if it was a Qatari man who was crossing the road, he wouldn't have done that.

What a warm welcome, huh? :P
I hope everyone gives me a warmer welcome to the blogging world :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I hear ya, that's not good! ;( what a welcome indeed! Such behaviors really don't do our beautiful countries justice.

    On the other hand, welcome to bloggerworld, bloggersphere, or whatever you wanna call it, ambitious Qatari girl!

    I love ambitious ppl! Is this your first time blogging? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the welcome :)
    And I love people who love ambitious people ;)
    It is my first time blogging - seems entertaining enough. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, a new blog to follow!

    keep posting..I'd love to read more.

    and yeah.. racism. It's a full package here. Racism to expats, racism among Qataris themselves. Although I'd categorize this incident under driving manners, it's well known that if it was a guy wearing thoub, this man wouldn't have honked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome ^^
    & as Ahmad says, keep posting, we'd love to read more!
    As a start, maybe you could tell us more about what you're ambitious for, what you do, how old are you... just a little introduction for us! ;)
    (You have the right to not write about personal stuff of course if you wish, but I'd wish to know about your ambitions still!)

    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahmad, thanks for passing by! Yeah, we're supposed to be a modern-thinking, educated people but we see racism in all its forms, especially in Qatar.
    Thanks again. :)

    Just A Bunch, you're absolutely right. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. ;)
    I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to more Qatar insights from you :) Glad to see yet another ambitious Qatari girl break from the stereotype that seem to be (wrongly) attached to Gulf females. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete